Last Saturday (April 19) Jacob and I got outside and hand tilled our two 8'x18' plots in a local community garden. We finally got some seeds in the ground and have our fingers crossed for success. We put in:
Heirloom Sugar Snap Peas (2 rows)
Lunar White Carrots (1 row)
Lutz Green Leaf Beets (2 rows)
Heirloom Gourmet Blend of Beets from Botanical Interests (2 rows)
Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach (3 rows)
Mammoth Melting Sugar Peas (2 rows)
Scarlet Nantes Carrots (2 rows)
Snow Oregon Giant Sugar Peas (3 rows)
Early White Vienna Kohlrabi (2 rows)
Rainbow Mix Carrots (2 rows)
Heirloom Arugula (2 rows)
This weekend, the goal is to get the Chard, lettuce, and any remaining cold weather seeds that we want in the ground at our house.
Last weekend, we also put the tomatoes and nasturtiums outside to harden off. The herbs are still in the flat in the basement and are being very slow in their progress. Hopefully their growth will pick up soon, but they currently seem stuck at the primary leaf stage and am not sure why...
A few weeks ago, we dug up the crowns of asparagus in our square foot garden bed because they haven't produced much of anything for the past 2 years. They seemed rather cramped under the surface, so we broke them up and planted them all around the house, giving them a lot more room. We will wait and see if any come back but we figured we had nothing to lose. It looks like one spear has already popped up by the trash cans, so we have hope!