A partial list in no particular order:
1. It is important to me to live in a socially and environmentally conscious way
2. I like, no, love, good food
3. I'll get to work outside on a regular basis
4. It is something Katie and I can do and enjoy together
5. After the garden's initial start up cost (which isn't slight), it will be relatively cheap to eat great food all year and for many in the future
6. It will make the backyard smell and look great!
I'm sure my folks think it's hilarious that I'd be up for having a garden... I hated it when they had one and I had to go weed the dang thing "all" the time. Oh well! I've learned the error of my ways!